Feasibility Study for Serbian Manufacturing Innovation Hub (FS4SMIH)
The current project concerns Robotics and related technologies.
FUNDING and duration:
The Project is being conducted within the ReconCell project, which is part of the I4MS initiative and HORIZON2020 EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation. Project started on the 1st of October 2016, and will last for six months (until April 1st, 2017).
1) School of Electrical Engineering (ETF), University of Belgrade – Coordinating Institution
2) Institute “Mihajlo Pupin”, University of Belgrade
3) Servoteh d.o.o.
CONCEPT AND OBJECTIVES:
Goal of the current project:
Make a feasibility study – check whether it is justified to work on establishing a Regional Serbian Digital Manufacturing Innovation hub (RDMIH), oriented to robotics and related technologies.
The middle-term goals are to
▪ establish the RDMIH for the field of Robotics,
▪ later arrange collaboration across the Western Balkans (WB) and organize a WB network of hubs,
▪ to finally integrate in the European network.
The proposers believe that robotics can strongly contribute to the overall competitiveness of local/regional industry and can make a decisive push forward.
The usual arguments for robotics apply:
▪ competitiveness and productivity of industry will be improved,
▪ new jobs opened; and
▪ new investments and economic development initiated;
as well as specific arguments:
▪ success in such complex and moderns technology will raise the self confidence of the society;
▪ robotics will satisfy the natural curiosity of young, offer challenging jobs, and thus reduce the present brain drain.
High potentials for robotics in Serbia result from rich tradition of Serbian robotics. So, advances and innovations in robotics could be expected along with standard implementations.
This moment, we see SMEs as the most flexible and dynamic actors in Serbian industry and hence the key factor for creative and innovative robotization.
EXPECTED ACTIVITIES IN THE HUB
Once established, the RDMIH will conduct the following primary activities.
1. Assistance-support in turning innovation ideas to practice. Interested parties (individuals and SMEs) who have some innovative idea will come to the Hub and get the following support.
• Consulting to preliminary check the idea.
• The engineers in the Hub will either fully conduct or assist the innovator-client to conduct a thorough evaluation including theoretical/technological criteria and experimental verification using the Hub’s human and technical resources.
• The client will be helped in turning the idea to practice. Here, we have in mind both engineering and business aspects like patents, start-ups, incubators, contacts with potential investors, business plans, etc.
• The Hub will establish collaboration with the technological parks and incubators present in Serbia. Hub’s assistance and technical/business support will fill the existing gap between innovators and parks and incubators.
2. R&D and realization of customer-required projects. Manufacturing SMEs who experience some problem (e.g. a bottleneck in the production) or feel a need for improved quality or increased production series, and who have not sufficient competency or free staff or time to resolve the problems, will come to the Hub and get the support or a turnkey solution from R&D to final system integration. This includes technology transfer.
3. Education and training in advanced technologies. The primary target group includes: technical staff from SMEs, business staff, etc. The secondary group includes: teachers in vocational education, students, etc.